PHOENIX — Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods is confirming that he is working “behind the scenes” with a group that wants to take over ownership of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” Show, Woods could not definitely confirm the identity of the group. But he did hint that Ice Edge Holdings, which has tried to buy the team in the past, is who he is working with now.
“I represented Ice Edge in the past, so that’s a pretty good clue,” said Woods.
He’s optimistic about the sale.
“There’s a very real possibility here that you could have a top notch ownership that could come in, do a great job with the Coyotes, and maybe give Glendale a better financial deal and situation than they were contemplating,” Woods said.
The group’s efforts to buy the team were rekindled when former San Jose Sharks owner Greg Jamison failed to meet a deadline on a deal with Glendale to operate Jobing.com Arena.
Woods said he believes the group can work with Glendale’s new Mayor Jerry Weiers to get the deal done. He said that the group he is working with has the resources to make the team a success in Glendale.
“They’re going to be able to have the wherewithal to go out and put a great team on the ice. That’s the goal here,” Woods said. “It’s good as a sports fan if you have owners that are in it for the long haul. You don’t have to worry about ‘oh, they’re going to move the team or this or that.'”
Woods said there should be more information about the potential purchase of the team in about two weeks.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them