PHOENIX — Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods is confirming that he is working “behind the scenes” with a group that wants to take over ownership of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” Show, Woods could not definitely confirm the identity of the group. But he did hint that Ice Edge Holdings, which has tried to buy the team in the past, is who he is working with now.
“I represented Ice Edge in the past, so that’s a pretty good clue,” said Woods.
He’s optimistic about the sale.
“There’s a very real possibility here that you could have a top notch ownership that could come in, do a great job with the Coyotes, and maybe give Glendale a better financial deal and situation than they were contemplating,” Woods said.
The group’s efforts to buy the team were rekindled when former San Jose Sharks owner Greg Jamison failed to meet a deadline on a deal with Glendale to operate Jobing.com Arena.
Woods said he believes the group can work with Glendale’s new Mayor Jerry Weiers to get the deal done. He said that the group he is working with has the resources to make the team a success in Glendale.
“They’re going to be able to have the wherewithal to go out and put a great team on the ice. That’s the goal here,” Woods said. “It’s good as a sports fan if you have owners that are in it for the long haul. You don’t have to worry about ‘oh, they’re going to move the team or this or that.'”
Woods said there should be more information about the potential purchase of the team in about two weeks.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier