PHOENIX — Former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods is confirming that he is working “behind the scenes” with a group that wants to take over ownership of the Phoenix Coyotes.
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” Show, Woods could not definitely confirm the identity of the group. But he did hint that Ice Edge Holdings, which has tried to buy the team in the past, is who he is working with now.
“I represented Ice Edge in the past, so that’s a pretty good clue,” said Woods.
He’s optimistic about the sale.
“There’s a very real possibility here that you could have a top notch ownership that could come in, do a great job with the Coyotes, and maybe give Glendale a better financial deal and situation than they were contemplating,” Woods said.
The group’s efforts to buy the team were rekindled when former San Jose Sharks owner Greg Jamison failed to meet a deadline on a deal with Glendale to operate Jobing.com Arena.
Woods said he believes the group can work with Glendale’s new Mayor Jerry Weiers to get the deal done. He said that the group he is working with has the resources to make the team a success in Glendale.
“They’re going to be able to have the wherewithal to go out and put a great team on the ice. That’s the goal here,” Woods said. “It’s good as a sports fan if you have owners that are in it for the long haul. You don’t have to worry about ‘oh, they’re going to move the team or this or that.'”
Woods said there should be more information about the potential purchase of the team in about two weeks.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever