PHOENIX — It’s been one week since shooters opened fire on a house, killing 51-year-old Sandra Johnson and leaving three others injured.
In response to the shooting, city leaders including Mayor Greg Stanton, Police Chief Daniel Garcia, Councilman Michael Johnson and others came together at Peace Park near the shooting site to “make a united statement that the community will not stand for violence.” They also distributed Silent Witness fliers with Sandra Johnson’s photograph to neighbors in the area.
“That’s one of God’s rules. Do not kill. If you have a conscious, come forward. You’re going to be alright, everything is going to be alright,” said Allen Johnson, the victim’s brother.
The drive-by happened in broad daylight at 14th Way and Roeser in South Phoenix on Feb. 1 about 2:20 p.m. It’s an area some residents describe as being unsafe because of drug and gang activity.
Police have gathered intelligence in hopes to catch the shooters.
“We’ve increases our officer presence, we’ve increased our investigative presence out here,” said Garcia. “It’s not just about visibility, which is important for this community to feel safe, but it’s about solving this crime.”
Anyone with information on this crime is asked to contact Silent Witness at (480) WITNESS. There is a reward of up to $1000 for information that leads to an arrest.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof