A man who killed a young mother in the presence of her 2-year-old daughter has been sentenced Friday to 44 years in prison.
According to a release, 27-year-old Victor Abraham Martinez, Jr. has been sentenced to aggravated terms for second degree murder and child abuse. Martinez will never qualify for early release.
“We are grateful for the imposition of aggravated penalties for the unspeakably cruel and heinous acts of this defendant,” said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery in a release. “While today’s sentence represents a measure of justice for this terrible crime, our hearts go out to Christina’s family and her daughter, who have suffered an irreplaceable loss.”
On Jan. 4, 2010, Martinez former girlfriend, Christina Hallman, made arrangements to stop by his house to pick up a few of her daughter’s toys. As the two started conversing in Hallman’s car regarding their relationship, Martinez pulled out a handgun and shot her six times in the head.
Martinez subsequently drove the vehicle to the nearby Bunzl Phoenix warehouse of Tempe. Employees who began arriving around 3 a.m. on Jan. 5 assumed Hallman was a drunk driver sleeping in her car. Approximately five hours later, two employees discovered Hallman’s daughter holding her mother’s body.
Grand Jurors of Maricopa County indicted Martinez for one count of first degree murder and one count of child abuse on Jan. 12, 2012. Martinez was instead convicted of second degree murder because the jury could not agree on the initial charge of first degree murder.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains