A man who killed a young mother in the presence of her 2-year-old daughter has been sentenced Friday to 44 years in prison.
According to a release, 27-year-old Victor Abraham Martinez, Jr. has been sentenced to aggravated terms for second degree murder and child abuse. Martinez will never qualify for early release.
“We are grateful for the imposition of aggravated penalties for the unspeakably cruel and heinous acts of this defendant,” said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery in a release. “While today’s sentence represents a measure of justice for this terrible crime, our hearts go out to Christina’s family and her daughter, who have suffered an irreplaceable loss.”
On Jan. 4, 2010, Martinez former girlfriend, Christina Hallman, made arrangements to stop by his house to pick up a few of her daughter’s toys. As the two started conversing in Hallman’s car regarding their relationship, Martinez pulled out a handgun and shot her six times in the head.
Martinez subsequently drove the vehicle to the nearby Bunzl Phoenix warehouse of Tempe. Employees who began arriving around 3 a.m. on Jan. 5 assumed Hallman was a drunk driver sleeping in her car. Approximately five hours later, two employees discovered Hallman’s daughter holding her mother’s body.
Grand Jurors of Maricopa County indicted Martinez for one count of first degree murder and one count of child abuse on Jan. 12, 2012. Martinez was instead convicted of second degree murder because the jury could not agree on the initial charge of first degree murder.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food