PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks are racing to cure cancer this weekend.
The team is hosting its first ever 5K on Saturday morning to benefit local non-profits that provide screening, treatment and support for those dealing with cancer.
“It is something that everybody is touched by,” said D-backs President and CEO Derrick Hall. “Everyone knows someone that has been impacted or affected by cancer. I’m fortunate enough to have caught it early and hopefully it’s behind me now, but we need to continue to drive awareness and hopefully help those out that are in need of help.”
Hall said it’s great to see fans and the organization come together for a good cause.
Participants in the race will receive a T-shirt, a swag bag and a medal.
Check-in for the race begins Saturday at 6:30 a.m. Preregistration on the team’s website is required and entry is $50.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier