PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks are racing to cure cancer this weekend.
The team is hosting its first ever 5K on Saturday morning to benefit local non-profits that provide screening, treatment and support for those dealing with cancer.
“It is something that everybody is touched by,” said D-backs President and CEO Derrick Hall. “Everyone knows someone that has been impacted or affected by cancer. I’m fortunate enough to have caught it early and hopefully it’s behind me now, but we need to continue to drive awareness and hopefully help those out that are in need of help.”
Hall said it’s great to see fans and the organization come together for a good cause.
Participants in the race will receive a T-shirt, a swag bag and a medal.
Check-in for the race begins Saturday at 6:30 a.m. Preregistration on the team’s website is required and entry is $50.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains