PHOENIX — Gun rights supporters carried holstered handguns, semi-automatic rifles and signs in support of their Second Amendment rights Friday morning outside of the Arizona State Capitol.
The group of approximately 100 people are concerned with the possibility of much stricter gun control laws coming out of Congress after the Newtown school shooting. Holly Murphy said she feels the need to have an AR-15 rifle which could eventually fall under an assault weapons ban.
“I’m speaking up for women who want AR-15s and high-capacity ammo magazines. We’re defending our homes and children and we need the extra rounds. There could be multiple intruders. A 250-pound man who intrudes into a home may not be taken down with four bullets.”
Murphy also fears the possibility of much tighter gun laws.
“First it’s our high-capacity magazines,” she said. “Who knows what it will be next? I’m here to make sure our rights are not taken away.”
The group largely doesn’t support universal background checks and said it’s time to start enforcing the laws already on the books.
Mike Smith said gun opponents are using tragedies like the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting and the Sandy Hook school shooting to take the rights away from legal gun owners.
“They think taking guns away is going to stop people from killing each other? It’s not. They’re jumping onboard with an assault weapons ban when they account for less than 1 percent of all gun deaths.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon