PHOENIX — Gun rights supporters carried holstered handguns, semi-automatic rifles and signs in support of their Second Amendment rights Friday morning outside of the Arizona State Capitol.
The group of approximately 100 people are concerned with the possibility of much stricter gun control laws coming out of Congress after the Newtown school shooting. Holly Murphy said she feels the need to have an AR-15 rifle which could eventually fall under an assault weapons ban.
“I’m speaking up for women who want AR-15s and high-capacity ammo magazines. We’re defending our homes and children and we need the extra rounds. There could be multiple intruders. A 250-pound man who intrudes into a home may not be taken down with four bullets.”
Murphy also fears the possibility of much tighter gun laws.
“First it’s our high-capacity magazines,” she said. “Who knows what it will be next? I’m here to make sure our rights are not taken away.”
The group largely doesn’t support universal background checks and said it’s time to start enforcing the laws already on the books.
Mike Smith said gun opponents are using tragedies like the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting and the Sandy Hook school shooting to take the rights away from legal gun owners.
“They think taking guns away is going to stop people from killing each other? It’s not. They’re jumping onboard with an assault weapons ban when they account for less than 1 percent of all gun deaths.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl