PHOENIX — In sunny Phoenix, Eric Leiser sits at Sky Harbor Airport and waits for a snowstorm to hit the East Coast.
That snowstorm, expected to be a major blizzard, began to fall Friday and shut down 28 flights at Phoenix Sky Harbor, including Leiser’s United flight to New York.
Across the country, 4,000 flights to the northeast have been cancelled.
“I lived through [Hurricane] Sandy, I’ve been through a lot of disasters in New York since I moved there
from California and I’m not looking forward to another ‘super’ whatever,” Leiser said.
Leiser said he’s hoping for next available flight out. Airlines are crossing their fingers that flights will resume Saturday. Barring that, he’d consider buying a bus or train ticket to get home.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night