A shooting from one vehicle into another vehicle near the Loop 101 and U.S. 60 in Tempe forced police to place multiple schools on lockdown for nearly three hours.
The vehicles exited the freeway near Guadalupe Road and Lakeshore Drive.
Officers pulled over the vehicle from which the shots were fired.
They say two people were inside that vehicle and one of them has been detained. The second person fled on foot and police are searching for that person, according to Molly Enright from Tempe Police.
Police say it’s not immediately clear if anyone was injured in the incident.
Marcos de Niza High School, ABC Preschool and Gethsemane Lutheran
School were all placed on lockdown as officers conduct their search.
Buses were held at the end of the school day and parents were notified of the lockdown.
The boundaries of the lockdown were Rural Road to the west, Westchester Drive to the north, Lakeshore Drive on the east perimeter and Guadalupe Road.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered