PHOENIX — The “Move on When Reading” statute takes effect for the 2013-14 school year. It mandates that third- grade students who don’t have satisfactory grades on AIMS reading tests may not move on to the fourth grade, as Arizona will begin following Common Core standards.
For that reason, Helios Education Foundation is launching a new statewide initiative called “Read on Arizona.” The initiative has also named the state’s first literacy director, Terri Clark, to help address the problem.
“There’s a lot of work that needs to be done,” said Ian Smith with the foundation. “The numbers tell us that it’s not as bright as we would like it to be. We believe through this initiative and collaborative effort we can get there.”
The foundation will work with the Arizona Department of Education, First Things First, Head Start State Collaboration Office and other partners to support implementation of Read On Arizona.
It’s estimated that only a quarter of fourth-graders are proficient at grade-level reading.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets