PEORIA — A recent survey ranked Phoenix near the bottom when it comes to reading the Bible in America.
A survey by the Barna Group researchers said only 17 percent of people in Phoenix read Scripture.
Rob and Lisa Lazure of Connect the Dots Ministries hold a weekly Bible study every Wednesday morning at a movie theater in Peoria. A recent gathering drew about 100 people.
Lisa said that most Arizonans choose other things over reading the Bible.
“Instead of going to church, and hearing ‘Hey! Reading your Bible’s probably a good thing,'” said Lisa, “they would rather go boating or fishing, or go to Flagstaff or somewhere where it’s cooler and they can get out of the heat.”
Rob couldn’t agree more. He belives that the city’s numerous distractions are a major cause for the lack of people reading the Bible.
People in other parts of the world say “other things” are interfering with Americans reading the Bible. Lisa said she recently talked with a woman from Belize, who told her Americans are distracted.
“People in other countries that don’t have anything have the time to just just sit and listen to ‘OK, God: How do I know you? What do I do? They just spend more time reading (their bible),” Lisa said.
Another factor is that many people only live in Phoenix part of the year and don’t get involved in a church where they would be encouraged to read God’s word.
Rob and Lisa acknowledged that someone can read the Bible without going to church, but they said that many people are more likely to be motivated to read it if they did attend church.
Lisa also thinks that, even though they say they’re religious, many people just don’t want to read the Bible.
“There’s a big difference between religion and a true relationship with God,” she said. “Those that have a true relationship want to read their Bibles because they want to know God. There’s a big difference.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon