PEORIA — A recent survey ranked Phoenix near the bottom when it comes to reading the Bible in America.
A survey by the Barna Group researchers said only 17 percent of people in Phoenix read Scripture.
Rob and Lisa Lazure of Connect the Dots Ministries hold a weekly Bible study every Wednesday morning at a movie theater in Peoria. A recent gathering drew about 100 people.
Lisa said that most Arizonans choose other things over reading the Bible.
“Instead of going to church, and hearing ‘Hey! Reading your Bible’s probably a good thing,'” said Lisa, “they would rather go boating or fishing, or go to Flagstaff or somewhere where it’s cooler and they can get out of the heat.”
Rob couldn’t agree more. He belives that the city’s numerous distractions are a major cause for the lack of people reading the Bible.
People in other parts of the world say “other things” are interfering with Americans reading the Bible. Lisa said she recently talked with a woman from Belize, who told her Americans are distracted.
“People in other countries that don’t have anything have the time to just just sit and listen to ‘OK, God: How do I know you? What do I do? They just spend more time reading (their bible),” Lisa said.
Another factor is that many people only live in Phoenix part of the year and don’t get involved in a church where they would be encouraged to read God’s word.
Rob and Lisa acknowledged that someone can read the Bible without going to church, but they said that many people are more likely to be motivated to read it if they did attend church.
Lisa also thinks that, even though they say they’re religious, many people just don’t want to read the Bible.
“There’s a big difference between religion and a true relationship with God,” she said. “Those that have a true relationship want to read their Bibles because they want to know God. There’s a big difference.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier