PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton met with a new task force designed to help promote trade, investments and tourism with Mexico on Wednesday.
“The whole point of it is to come up with very specific ideas and strategy about how the city of Phoenix can increase our economic position relative to Mexico,” Stanton said. “We know that our economy and the economy of Mexico are very closely tied together.”
In 2011 Arizona exported $6 billion worth of goods to Mexico, making it Arizona’s largest trading partner. California and Texas are well ahead of Arizona though; in 2011 Texas exported $87 billion. Stanton said California and Texas have been focused longer on business with Mexico, but that Arizona can and should work to increase its market share.
“We don’t have to give up,” Stanton said. “We have to fight for jobs here in Arizona. Fight for our opportunity.”
One of Stanton’s major focuses for the task force is to increase the physical presence of Phoenix businesses in Mexico. He said that he and council members need to travel to Mexico often to promote business and called upon business leaders to do the same.
But while trips to Mexico are beneficial for increasing awareness of Phoenix businesses, Stanton said a more constant presence is what he would like to see.
“Having an office in Mexico promoting Phoenix businesses, promoting foreign direct investment from Mexico into Phoenix, [and] consistently getting that message out is critically important,” Stanton said.
With growth in the Mexican economy, Stanton said it is important for Arizona to focus more on inspiring a friendly business relationship with Mexico.
The task force is made up of councilmembers Daniel Valenzuela, Sal DiCiccio and Michael Nowakowski, as well as top local business leaders and experts in the area of trade with Mexico.
Wednesday’s meeting was designed to discuss ideas of what the task force would like to do moving forward. Future meetings will begin to lay out specific goals and expectations.
“Actually setting specific benchmarks is going to be one of the results of this task force,” Stanton said. “We’re just getting started with it. I’ve got my own ideas, but I’ve learned in public life that you take other people’s best ideas and you run with them.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets