PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton met with a new task force designed to help promote trade, investments and tourism with Mexico on Wednesday.
“The whole point of it is to come up with very specific ideas and strategy about how the city of Phoenix can increase our economic position relative to Mexico,” Stanton said. “We know that our economy and the economy of Mexico are very closely tied together.”
In 2011 Arizona exported $6 billion worth of goods to Mexico, making it Arizona’s largest trading partner. California and Texas are well ahead of Arizona though; in 2011 Texas exported $87 billion. Stanton said California and Texas have been focused longer on business with Mexico, but that Arizona can and should work to increase its market share.
“We don’t have to give up,” Stanton said. “We have to fight for jobs here in Arizona. Fight for our opportunity.”
One of Stanton’s major focuses for the task force is to increase the physical presence of Phoenix businesses in Mexico. He said that he and council members need to travel to Mexico often to promote business and called upon business leaders to do the same.
But while trips to Mexico are beneficial for increasing awareness of Phoenix businesses, Stanton said a more constant presence is what he would like to see.
“Having an office in Mexico promoting Phoenix businesses, promoting foreign direct investment from Mexico into Phoenix, [and] consistently getting that message out is critically important,” Stanton said.
With growth in the Mexican economy, Stanton said it is important for Arizona to focus more on inspiring a friendly business relationship with Mexico.
The task force is made up of councilmembers Daniel Valenzuela, Sal DiCiccio and Michael Nowakowski, as well as top local business leaders and experts in the area of trade with Mexico.
Wednesday’s meeting was designed to discuss ideas of what the task force would like to do moving forward. Future meetings will begin to lay out specific goals and expectations.
“Actually setting specific benchmarks is going to be one of the results of this task force,” Stanton said. “We’re just getting started with it. I’ve got my own ideas, but I’ve learned in public life that you take other people’s best ideas and you run with them.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life