PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton met with a new task force designed to help promote trade, investments and tourism with Mexico on Wednesday.
“The whole point of it is to come up with very specific ideas and strategy about how the city of Phoenix can increase our economic position relative to Mexico,” Stanton said. “We know that our economy and the economy of Mexico are very closely tied together.”
In 2011 Arizona exported $6 billion worth of goods to Mexico, making it Arizona’s largest trading partner. California and Texas are well ahead of Arizona though; in 2011 Texas exported $87 billion. Stanton said California and Texas have been focused longer on business with Mexico, but that Arizona can and should work to increase its market share.
“We don’t have to give up,” Stanton said. “We have to fight for jobs here in Arizona. Fight for our opportunity.”
One of Stanton’s major focuses for the task force is to increase the physical presence of Phoenix businesses in Mexico. He said that he and council members need to travel to Mexico often to promote business and called upon business leaders to do the same.
But while trips to Mexico are beneficial for increasing awareness of Phoenix businesses, Stanton said a more constant presence is what he would like to see.
“Having an office in Mexico promoting Phoenix businesses, promoting foreign direct investment from Mexico into Phoenix, [and] consistently getting that message out is critically important,” Stanton said.
With growth in the Mexican economy, Stanton said it is important for Arizona to focus more on inspiring a friendly business relationship with Mexico.
The task force is made up of councilmembers Daniel Valenzuela, Sal DiCiccio and Michael Nowakowski, as well as top local business leaders and experts in the area of trade with Mexico.
Wednesday’s meeting was designed to discuss ideas of what the task force would like to do moving forward. Future meetings will begin to lay out specific goals and expectations.
“Actually setting specific benchmarks is going to be one of the results of this task force,” Stanton said. “We’re just getting started with it. I’ve got my own ideas, but I’ve learned in public life that you take other people’s best ideas and you run with them.”
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match