PHOENIX — Former NFL and Heisman Trophy-winning college quarterback Doug Flutie may be joining the Arizona Diamondbacks as a pitcher, thanks to a new show on MLB Network.
Flutie is one of five former college quarterbacks that will be competing on a reality show called “The Next Knuckler.”
“The youngest is Ryan Perrilloux, who played at LSU and Jacksonville State,” said David Gavant, the Executive in Charge of Production for Major League Baseball Productions.
The other quarterbacks involved are John David Booty from the University of Southern California, his older brother Josh from Louisiana State University and David Greene from the University of Georgia.
Gavant said the four-episode series will feature the five QBs getting training from former MLB All-Star pitcher Tim Wakefield.
“We’re going to see if Tim can teach these guys how to throw a great knuckleball,” he said.
The winner goes to spring training with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
“They will get an opportunity to show what Tim Wakefield has shown them, and get an opportunity to pitch in a real spring training game,” Gavant said.
Wakefield will be getting some help with his instruction. 2012 NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey of the Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, former All-Star knuckleball pitcher Charlie Hough and 15-year-old Chelsea Baker, a knuckleball phenom who threw two perfect games for her little league team in 2010 will also be on the show.
“The Next Knuckler” debuts Feb. 13 night at 7 p.m. on the MLB Network.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.