PHOENIX — Former NFL and Heisman Trophy-winning college quarterback Doug Flutie may be joining the Arizona Diamondbacks as a pitcher, thanks to a new show on MLB Network.
Flutie is one of five former college quarterbacks that will be competing on a reality show called “The Next Knuckler.”
“The youngest is Ryan Perrilloux, who played at LSU and Jacksonville State,” said David Gavant, the Executive in Charge of Production for Major League Baseball Productions.
The other quarterbacks involved are John David Booty from the University of Southern California, his older brother Josh from Louisiana State University and David Greene from the University of Georgia.
Gavant said the four-episode series will feature the five QBs getting training from former MLB All-Star pitcher Tim Wakefield.
“We’re going to see if Tim can teach these guys how to throw a great knuckleball,” he said.
The winner goes to spring training with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
“They will get an opportunity to show what Tim Wakefield has shown them, and get an opportunity to pitch in a real spring training game,” Gavant said.
Wakefield will be getting some help with his instruction. 2012 NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey of the Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, former All-Star knuckleball pitcher Charlie Hough and 15-year-old Chelsea Baker, a knuckleball phenom who threw two perfect games for her little league team in 2010 will also be on the show.
“The Next Knuckler” debuts Feb. 13 night at 7 p.m. on the MLB Network.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match