PHOENIX — Next week’s expected merger between Tempe-based US Airways and American Airlines will more than likely cost some jobs in the Valley.
The new company will be based in Fort Worth, and is expected to keep the American Airlines name. About 9,000 US Air employees work in the Valley, making it the ninth-largest employer in Arizona.
“I believe you’ll lose jobs and the name US Air will disappear like (predecessor) America West,” said airlines expert Tom Parsons of Bestfare.com.
US Air’s corporate headquarters, near Tempe Town Lake, staffs about 750.
According to WFAA-TV, the airlines plan to meet for discussions Monday.
Sources tell News 8 that US Airways CEO Doug Parker will likely take over, and American’s Tom Horton will be given an honorary position on the board such as non-executive chairman.
“But Southwest will still probably be the No. 1 gorilla in the sky,” Parson said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon