PHOENIX — Next week’s expected merger between Tempe-based US Airways and American Airlines will more than likely cost some jobs in the Valley.
The new company will be based in Fort Worth, and is expected to keep the American Airlines name. About 9,000 US Air employees work in the Valley, making it the ninth-largest employer in Arizona.
“I believe you’ll lose jobs and the name US Air will disappear like (predecessor) America West,” said airlines expert Tom Parsons of Bestfare.com.
US Air’s corporate headquarters, near Tempe Town Lake, staffs about 750.
According to WFAA-TV, the airlines plan to meet for discussions Monday.
Sources tell News 8 that US Airways CEO Doug Parker will likely take over, and American’s Tom Horton will be given an honorary position on the board such as non-executive chairman.
“But Southwest will still probably be the No. 1 gorilla in the sky,” Parson said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever