Scottsdale, Ariz. — Republican State Representative Justin Pierce has authored House Bill 2384 which could lead to state sales tax holidays on the July 4th and Labor Day long weekends.
Pierce said this will boost the economy and encourage Arizonan’s to buy things they typically would not buy.
Economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said sales tax holidays are a gimmick and do very little to jump start the economy and the state loses tax dollars in the process.
“It will not result in the boost in the economy that is being noted.”
Sixteen states have tax holidays planned for this year including New Mexico and Texas. Rounds said this is a bandwagon that Arizona needs to stay away from.
“Let’s evaluate this intelligently. There’s a lot of dumb people influencing policy in these other states that we like to compare ourselves with.”
Rounds said the states economy has certainly improved but is still about two years away from being back to full speed and this is not the time to encourage people to go on spending sprees with the proposed tax holidays.
“I appreciate the fact that lawmakers are trying to push the economy forward but there’s only so much the state and lawmakers can do to change how the economy is functioning.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them