Scottsdale, Ariz. — Republican State Representative Justin Pierce has authored House Bill 2384 which could lead to state sales tax holidays on the July 4th and Labor Day long weekends.
Pierce said this will boost the economy and encourage Arizonan’s to buy things they typically would not buy.
Economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said sales tax holidays are a gimmick and do very little to jump start the economy and the state loses tax dollars in the process.
“It will not result in the boost in the economy that is being noted.”
Sixteen states have tax holidays planned for this year including New Mexico and Texas. Rounds said this is a bandwagon that Arizona needs to stay away from.
“Let’s evaluate this intelligently. There’s a lot of dumb people influencing policy in these other states that we like to compare ourselves with.”
Rounds said the states economy has certainly improved but is still about two years away from being back to full speed and this is not the time to encourage people to go on spending sprees with the proposed tax holidays.
“I appreciate the fact that lawmakers are trying to push the economy forward but there’s only so much the state and lawmakers can do to change how the economy is functioning.”
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains