Scottsdale, Ariz. — Republican State Representative Justin Pierce has authored House Bill 2384 which could lead to state sales tax holidays on the July 4th and Labor Day long weekends.
Pierce said this will boost the economy and encourage Arizonan’s to buy things they typically would not buy.
Economist Jim Rounds with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said sales tax holidays are a gimmick and do very little to jump start the economy and the state loses tax dollars in the process.
“It will not result in the boost in the economy that is being noted.”
Sixteen states have tax holidays planned for this year including New Mexico and Texas. Rounds said this is a bandwagon that Arizona needs to stay away from.
“Let’s evaluate this intelligently. There’s a lot of dumb people influencing policy in these other states that we like to compare ourselves with.”
Rounds said the states economy has certainly improved but is still about two years away from being back to full speed and this is not the time to encourage people to go on spending sprees with the proposed tax holidays.
“I appreciate the fact that lawmakers are trying to push the economy forward but there’s only so much the state and lawmakers can do to change how the economy is functioning.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development