Federal authorities said a plane crashed late Wednesday morning while landing in Casa Grande.
Federal Aviation Administration officials say the twin-engine turbo prop went
down at 11:35 a.m. Wednesday as it was landing and the craft was destroyed by
The small private plane was completely destroyed. A Casa Grande fire official said the plane burst into flames on impact and both occupants were killed.
Television footage shows charred wreckage in a desert area north of an airport
“[There was a] heavy amount of smoke, black smoke,” said Aldo Vargas, who works in a building across the runway.
FAA spokesman Ian Gregor says the cause of the crash is unclear. He says an FAA
investigator is en route to the scene.
Casa Grande police and fire department officials didn’t immediately release the
names of the two killed. The plane is owned by a Tucson company, but will not be named being held pending notification of next of kin.
Authorities have closed the airport until the wreckage is cleared.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl