SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A Valley school is being honored for being a green school.
Shalom Montessori is the first school in Scottsdale and the fourth in the state to be recognized by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality as being “environmentally healthy.”
School spokeswoman Sarette Zecharia said it’s because the school started a farmers market.
“Some of the parents who got involved with me were really involved in a farmers markets,” Zecharia said. “I said, ‘What can we do that reaches out to the community, that’s organic, that’s green?’ They said ‘Why don’t we try a farmer’s market?’ ”
That was five weeks ago. Now, the campus market is drawing about 300 shoppers a week.
The market is held every Tuesday from 3 to 6 p.m. at 7300 N. Via Paseo Del Sur. For more information, call (480)626-0676.
Gov. Brewer has proclaimed this week as Arizona Green Week.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees