PHOENIX — A bill will be introduced Tuesday at the State Capitol that seeks to shut down photo radar cameras.
Last year a legislative attempt to pull the plug on radar cameras failed by one vote.
Shawn Dow with Campaign for Liberty is driving the attempt to shut down the cameras and believes it will happen this year.
“These things increase accidents and all of them need to be taken down. That bright photo flash is causing accidents,” he said.
Peoria and Tempe have already turned off the cameras. In 2011, Peoria police told city officials that collisions at four intersections with the cameras had increased by 29 percent.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous. If you stood out on a corner with a camera and a bright flash, and flashed a driver you would go to jail,” said Dow.
Cameras are still up and running in Mesa, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson. Dow believes only a law enforcement officer should be allowed to write tickets, not private companies such as camera operator Redflex.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety ceased its speed-camera program in 2010 and officials removed the devices from Valley freeways.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon