PHOENIX — A bill will be introduced Tuesday at the State Capitol that seeks to shut down photo radar cameras.
Last year a legislative attempt to pull the plug on radar cameras failed by one vote.
Shawn Dow with Campaign for Liberty is driving the attempt to shut down the cameras and believes it will happen this year.
“These things increase accidents and all of them need to be taken down. That bright photo flash is causing accidents,” he said.
Peoria and Tempe have already turned off the cameras. In 2011, Peoria police told city officials that collisions at four intersections with the cameras had increased by 29 percent.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous. If you stood out on a corner with a camera and a bright flash, and flashed a driver you would go to jail,” said Dow.
Cameras are still up and running in Mesa, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson. Dow believes only a law enforcement officer should be allowed to write tickets, not private companies such as camera operator Redflex.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety ceased its speed-camera program in 2010 and officials removed the devices from Valley freeways.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier