TEMPE, Ariz. – Rover Elementary student Juliet Farr truly understands that perseverance pays off.
When she was in second grade, Farr started working to get leaders to dump styrofoam food trays students received in the cafeteria and replace them with recycled cardboard.
“Styrofoam is bad for the environment,” Farr said. “It can take thousands of years to go away.”
It took three years for Farr and her friends to appear before the school board three times and meet with former Mayor Hugh Hallman before convincing them to replace the styrofoam trays. Not only did they begin using recycled cardboard trays at Rover Elementary, but at all the schools in the Tempe Elementary District. The change is estimated to keep 900,000 styrofoam trays out of landfills.
Farr’s dedication led to her receiving recognition through her Girl Scout troop.
“It’s a bronze award. It’s just a little pin, but it means a lot to me,” Farr said.
She’s tackling another project for her troop — this one should take much less time. It’s called the “Pencil Project”.
“We’ll put boxes in all the classroom and collect pencils,” Farr said. “The class that donates the most will get ice cream.”
And, the satisfaction of knowing that the pencils will be shipped to students affected by Hurricane Sandy.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona