PHOENIX — The top House Democrat accused Republicans on Monday of refusing to further the discussion about community safety by ignoring his plans to control gun violence and boost school safety.
Rep. Chad Campbell, D-Phoenix, said he found it “troubling” that none of the nine bills making up his Arizona Safer Schools, Safer Community Plan has been scheduled for committee hearings.
Campbell’s bills range from background checks for all gun purchases to increasing the number of school resource officers to boosting funding for mental health services. In all, his plan calls for $261 million to address gun violence.
“The longer we wait on doing anything, the more likely things are going to continue happening,” Campbell said.
Rey Torres, spokesman for the House Republican leadership, said that if Campbell would spend more time working to get his legislation heard and less time personally attacking House Speaker Andy Tobin, R-Paulden, he might be more successful.
The call for action from Campbell and other House Democrats during the caucus’ weekly briefing came less than a week after a shooting at a Phoenix office left two dead and drew national attention.
“Violence seems to be becoming more commonplace and we need to find ways to keep our kids and communities safe,” said Rep. Eric Meyer, D-Paradise Valley, who represents the district where the shootings occurred.
Other provisions of Campbell’s bills would double the number of school counselors in Arizona, provide $20 million to help schools address security needs, and allocate $138 million annually to expand Medicaid coverage for the mentally ill.
All but one of the bills have been assigned to committees, but as of Monday afternoon none had been scheduled for hearings.
“I’m not optimistic right now about them,” Campbell said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy