PHOENIX — The top House Democrat accused Republicans on Monday of refusing to further the discussion about community safety by ignoring his plans to control gun violence and boost school safety.
Rep. Chad Campbell, D-Phoenix, said he found it “troubling” that none of the nine bills making up his Arizona Safer Schools, Safer Community Plan has been scheduled for committee hearings.
Campbell’s bills range from background checks for all gun purchases to increasing the number of school resource officers to boosting funding for mental health services. In all, his plan calls for $261 million to address gun violence.
“The longer we wait on doing anything, the more likely things are going to continue happening,” Campbell said.
Rey Torres, spokesman for the House Republican leadership, said that if Campbell would spend more time working to get his legislation heard and less time personally attacking House Speaker Andy Tobin, R-Paulden, he might be more successful.
The call for action from Campbell and other House Democrats during the caucus’ weekly briefing came less than a week after a shooting at a Phoenix office left two dead and drew national attention.
“Violence seems to be becoming more commonplace and we need to find ways to keep our kids and communities safe,” said Rep. Eric Meyer, D-Paradise Valley, who represents the district where the shootings occurred.
Other provisions of Campbell’s bills would double the number of school counselors in Arizona, provide $20 million to help schools address security needs, and allocate $138 million annually to expand Medicaid coverage for the mentally ill.
All but one of the bills have been assigned to committees, but as of Monday afternoon none had been scheduled for hearings.
“I’m not optimistic right now about them,” Campbell said.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck