PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Senator Kimberly Yee has introduced two bills to toughen restrictions on medical marijuana.
Yee wants marijuana edibles sold in state dispensaries to have warning labels, such as those you find on packages of cigarettes. Currently, the labels must list ingredients but do not state that the product is for medicinal use only.
Yee said it’s clear that products that contain medical marijuana like cookies, brownies, lollipops and even a candy bar called Zonka are being aimed at kids. She said her bills are designed to make it clear to minors who are medical marijuana cardholders that this product is for medicinal purposes and only for legitimate cardholders.
“The states medical marijuana program approved two years ago by voters allows minors to have a medical marijuana card. Many voters didn’t know that when they passed the law.”
Under Yee’s proposals, dispensaries could have their license revoked if they dispense or advertise marijuana that is packaged for anything but medicinal purposes.
The second bill introduced by Yee would give police the power to destroy medical marijuana plants seized during a criminal investigation, once the investigation is complete instead of being forced to feed and water the plants in the event the court orders the plants returned to the patient.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona