Once again, flying has become more expensive.
Since January 2012, 52 different fees have been added, giving the worldwide airline revenue an increased 11 percent in 2012, according to an article by TravelNerd.
Of the additional fees, 36 are direct fee increases. But the remaining charges come from either unbundling fees, increasing fee price ranges and redefining fee policies.
“These changes have had a tremendous impact on U.S. travelers, especially on families. Travelers really have to be extra cautious when booking a flight. U.S. carriers are becoming creative at charging consumers extra fees,” said Alicia Jao, VP Travel Media at TravelNerd.
Unbundling means charging two separate fees for what was previously into one. One of the fee policies redefinition came from Allegiant, who charged the same $50 for overweight bags, but had the weight cut off change from 51-70 to 41-70.
Baggage fees, the complained-about cost, were responsible for 28 of the 52 fee changes.
“Despite Spirit’s infamous $100 per carry-on bag fee,” Jao wrote in the article, “the majority of fee increases were within $5-$10.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever