Once again, flying has become more expensive.
Since January 2012, 52 different fees have been added, giving the worldwide airline revenue an increased 11 percent in 2012, according to an article by TravelNerd.
Of the additional fees, 36 are direct fee increases. But the remaining charges come from either unbundling fees, increasing fee price ranges and redefining fee policies.
“These changes have had a tremendous impact on U.S. travelers, especially on families. Travelers really have to be extra cautious when booking a flight. U.S. carriers are becoming creative at charging consumers extra fees,” said Alicia Jao, VP Travel Media at TravelNerd.
Unbundling means charging two separate fees for what was previously into one. One of the fee policies redefinition came from Allegiant, who charged the same $50 for overweight bags, but had the weight cut off change from 51-70 to 41-70.
Baggage fees, the complained-about cost, were responsible for 28 of the 52 fee changes.
“Despite Spirit’s infamous $100 per carry-on bag fee,” Jao wrote in the article, “the majority of fee increases were within $5-$10.”
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain