Once again, flying has become more expensive.
Since January 2012, 52 different fees have been added, giving the worldwide airline revenue an increased 11 percent in 2012, according to an article by TravelNerd.
Of the additional fees, 36 are direct fee increases. But the remaining charges come from either unbundling fees, increasing fee price ranges and redefining fee policies.
“These changes have had a tremendous impact on U.S. travelers, especially on families. Travelers really have to be extra cautious when booking a flight. U.S. carriers are becoming creative at charging consumers extra fees,” said Alicia Jao, VP Travel Media at TravelNerd.
Unbundling means charging two separate fees for what was previously into one. One of the fee policies redefinition came from Allegiant, who charged the same $50 for overweight bags, but had the weight cut off change from 51-70 to 41-70.
Baggage fees, the complained-about cost, were responsible for 28 of the 52 fee changes.
“Despite Spirit’s infamous $100 per carry-on bag fee,” Jao wrote in the article, “the majority of fee increases were within $5-$10.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas