In addition to being financially destructive, credit card debt is hard on love life, according to a recent study by creditcard.com.
Women, in particular, are quicker to cut off a relationship over financial issues than men. If finances had been lied about, 70 percent of women said they would break up. Interestingly, that’s the same percentage of women who would stop a relationship with someone who had a criminal history.
If lying is not involved, 55 percent of women would call it off if the person was heavy in debt. The same issue would only cause 37 percent of men to end a relationship.
“We find that today's consumer is more aware than ever that good credit and high bureau scores are essential for successful family life,” said David Jones, president of the Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies. “I am not at all surprised that someone might consider credit issues when deciding whether to enter a relationship. That is in line with current consumer behaviors.”
Financial matters are the No. 1 reason for divorce, child and spouse abuse, stress, addictions and low job productivity, Jones said.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips