In addition to being financially destructive, credit card debt is hard on love life, according to a recent study by creditcard.com.
Women, in particular, are quicker to cut off a relationship over financial issues than men. If finances had been lied about, 70 percent of women said they would break up. Interestingly, that’s the same percentage of women who would stop a relationship with someone who had a criminal history.
If lying is not involved, 55 percent of women would call it off if the person was heavy in debt. The same issue would only cause 37 percent of men to end a relationship.
“We find that today's consumer is more aware than ever that good credit and high bureau scores are essential for successful family life,” said David Jones, president of the Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies. “I am not at all surprised that someone might consider credit issues when deciding whether to enter a relationship. That is in line with current consumer behaviors.”
Financial matters are the No. 1 reason for divorce, child and spouse abuse, stress, addictions and low job productivity, Jones said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments