SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Waste Management Phoenix Open is over, but cleanup from the tournament has just begun.
Crews started clearing out trash Sunday night, and they continued the cleanup Monday morning.
Scott Jenkins, director of collection operations for the tournament sponsor, said the biggest mess was found at the 16th hole at TPC of Scottsdale.
“Lot of beer cups, a lot of beer cups. We spend a lot of time removing the cups and those types of materials from the 16,” Jenkins said. “There’s a lot of liquid that comes along with that. It makes the bags a little heavier, but we’re prepared for that.”
This is the second year of Waste Management’s Zero Waste Challenge. The hope is no trash left behind from the Phoenix Open will be sent to the landfill. Instead, the materials will be taken to recycling and compost stations.
“Well over half a million pounds of material is what we’re looking to recycle. There’s no trash coming out of the Phoenix Open,” said Brad Pollock, director of recycling operations. “Everything that leaves here is going to go to a processing facility for recovery.”
Crews will also start breaking down tents and grandstands Monday. The course should be completely cleared in about two weeks.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick