SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Waste Management Phoenix Open is over, but cleanup from the tournament has just begun.
Crews started clearing out trash Sunday night, and they continued the cleanup Monday morning.
Scott Jenkins, director of collection operations for the tournament sponsor, said the biggest mess was found at the 16th hole at TPC of Scottsdale.
“Lot of beer cups, a lot of beer cups. We spend a lot of time removing the cups and those types of materials from the 16,” Jenkins said. “There’s a lot of liquid that comes along with that. It makes the bags a little heavier, but we’re prepared for that.”
This is the second year of Waste Management’s Zero Waste Challenge. The hope is no trash left behind from the Phoenix Open will be sent to the landfill. Instead, the materials will be taken to recycling and compost stations.
“Well over half a million pounds of material is what we’re looking to recycle. There’s no trash coming out of the Phoenix Open,” said Brad Pollock, director of recycling operations. “Everything that leaves here is going to go to a processing facility for recovery.”
Crews will also start breaking down tents and grandstands Monday. The course should be completely cleared in about two weeks.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever