SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Waste Management Phoenix Open is over, but cleanup from the tournament has just begun.
Crews started clearing out trash Sunday night, and they continued the cleanup Monday morning.
Scott Jenkins, director of collection operations for the tournament sponsor, said the biggest mess was found at the 16th hole at TPC of Scottsdale.
“Lot of beer cups, a lot of beer cups. We spend a lot of time removing the cups and those types of materials from the 16,” Jenkins said. “There’s a lot of liquid that comes along with that. It makes the bags a little heavier, but we’re prepared for that.”
This is the second year of Waste Management’s Zero Waste Challenge. The hope is no trash left behind from the Phoenix Open will be sent to the landfill. Instead, the materials will be taken to recycling and compost stations.
“Well over half a million pounds of material is what we’re looking to recycle. There’s no trash coming out of the Phoenix Open,” said Brad Pollock, director of recycling operations. “Everything that leaves here is going to go to a processing facility for recovery.”
Crews will also start breaking down tents and grandstands Monday. The course should be completely cleared in about two weeks.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas