PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Congressman Paul Gosar is suggesting that Remington Arms lock it up in New York state and load up for a move to Arizona.
Gosar has written Remington that New York’s gun control laws, which are among the nation’s toughest, should tell the business that it’s no longer welcome there. Gosar has officially extended an invitation to the firearms giant to move to Arizona.
Glenn Hamer heads up the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and agrees with Gosar’s assessment of New York.
“Why any company would do business in the state of New York is beyond me. It has a very hostile business environment,” Hamer said.
Hamer said Remington has almost 900 employees at the New York manufacturing plant (corporate headquarters are in North Carolina and the company has three other manufacturing facilities) and generates about $250 million in sales each year. A relocation to Arizona would pump millions into the state’s economy.
Arizona is home to more than 100 companies that make firearms and components, including Ruger in Prescott and American Spirit Arms in Scottsdale.
Gosar has suggested Remington set up shop near Buckeye, or in Gila, Mohave, Yavapai and Yuma counties.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona