The number of people killed in motorcycle crashes has more than doubled over the past few years in Arizona.
According to numbers from the Governor Brewer’s Office of Highway Safety, “motorcycle-crash deaths in Arizona rose 59 percent between 2010 and 2011. A total of 157 people were killed in motorcycle-related crashes in 2011, compared with 99 such fatalities in 2010.”
Governor Brewer has ordered the GOHS and ADOT to come up with a range of strategies to turn the deadly trend around.
“At least it starts with the recommendation that drivers heed the advice and go get the training,” said Doug Nintzel with ADOT. “We don’t have anything yet that would be the incentive, but we are certaintly looking into that.”
He says the state’s public safety agencies will work this year with other safety organizations and stakeholders to update the Arizona Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments