Cats could be the leading cause to the decline of the wild bird population.
According to USA Today, cats kill 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds a year in the U.S.
These numbers add to the tension between cat and bird lovers.
“The issue is not cats vs. birds but “a runaway and invasive population of cats” that are killing too many birds,”
American Bird Conservancy president George Fenwick explained.
Becky Robinson, president of the outdoor cat defense group Ally Cat Allies, simply said, “This is not Sophie’s Choice; this is not the American people voting to kill one animal over another.”
Aside from killing birds, cats are responsible for the killing of 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals, including mice, shrews and rabbits.
A proposed solution is the Trap-Neuter-Return policy, which will reduce outdoor cat populations and help to avoid extreme euthanasia of outdoor cats.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain