PHOENIX — A second victim of the Phoenix office-complex shooting has died.
Lawyer Mark Hummels passed away Thursday night. He was taken off life support, according to a statement. He had undergone surgery at John C. Lincoln Hospital for bullet wounds to his neck and back, suffered in Wednesday’s shooting.
He is the second fatality linked to suspected shooter Arthur Douglas Harmon, 70, of Phoenix. Steve Singer, the first victim, died a few hours after the shooting.
Hummels, 43, was representing Singer in a lawsuit filed by Harmon, according to court documents. The victims and the suspect had been at a settlement hearing earlier in the day at the office complex at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue.
According to the statement, Hummels had been declared brain dead.
Services for Hummels will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Orpheum Theatre, 203 W. Adams.
If you would like to make a charitable donation, Hummels’ family asks that you do so to the Mark Hummels Memorial Fund at the Arizona Community Foundation. Also, donations for the welfare, education and care of Mark’s two children may be made to the Hummels Children’s Fund at Alliance Bank of Arizona, 2901 N. Central Ave., Suite 100, Phoenix 85012.
According to Hummels’ biography at the Osborn Maledon firm’s website, he was considered “a future star” by Benchmark Litigation, a national publication that focuses on litigation.
Hummels was admitted to the state bar in 2005 and clerked for Arizona Supreme Court Justice Andrew Hurwitz.
The suspected shooter, Harmon was found dead in Mesa Thursday morning.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets