PHOENIX — A second victim of the Phoenix office-complex shooting has died.
Lawyer Mark Hummels passed away Thursday night. He was taken off life support, according to a statement. He had undergone surgery at John C. Lincoln Hospital for bullet wounds to his neck and back, suffered in Wednesday’s shooting.
He is the second fatality linked to suspected shooter Arthur Douglas Harmon, 70, of Phoenix. Steve Singer, the first victim, died a few hours after the shooting.
Hummels, 43, was representing Singer in a lawsuit filed by Harmon, according to court documents. The victims and the suspect had been at a settlement hearing earlier in the day at the office complex at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue.
According to the statement, Hummels had been declared brain dead.
Services for Hummels will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Orpheum Theatre, 203 W. Adams.
If you would like to make a charitable donation, Hummels’ family asks that you do so to the Mark Hummels Memorial Fund at the Arizona Community Foundation. Also, donations for the welfare, education and care of Mark’s two children may be made to the Hummels Children’s Fund at Alliance Bank of Arizona, 2901 N. Central Ave., Suite 100, Phoenix 85012.
According to Hummels’ biography at the Osborn Maledon firm’s website, he was considered “a future star” by Benchmark Litigation, a national publication that focuses on litigation.
Hummels was admitted to the state bar in 2005 and clerked for Arizona Supreme Court Justice Andrew Hurwitz.
The suspected shooter, Harmon was found dead in Mesa Thursday morning.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas