PHOENIX — People in the Pacific Northwest are paying close attention to what happens to the Phoenix Coyotes.
Hockey fans in Seattle would love to lure the Coyotes to their city. But there’s one problem.
“There’s no building (for them to play in),” said reporter Josh Kerns of KIRO-AM radio in Seattle.
Kerns said that could change. A group led by hedge-fund manager Chris Hanson wants to build an arena as part of an effort to bring an NBA team back to the city.
“As part of the original deal to get some public financing and a public loan for the arena, Hanson has promised to build it to NHL specifications,” said Kerns. “He would like to partner with somebody to bring the NHL to town.”
But Kerns believes it could be several years before that arena opens. He said if the NHL moves the Coyotes to Seattle now, they would have to play in an arena that does not meet league standards.
“They could play in Key Arena with a smaller capacity if the NHL were willing to make an exemption there,” said Kerns. “It’s where the Seattle SuperSonics basketball team used to play (before moving to Oklahoma City). After it was renovated several years ago, it can only hold between 10,000 and 11,000 fans for hockey.
“The other possibility is the Tacoma Dome, a larger facility that has hosted minor-league hockey in past years.”
Kerns said that the dome would need to be renovated.
Still, Kerns believes there is only a slight chance that the Coyotes will move to Seattle.
“I would say, realistically, given the timing here, unless an investor were to step in right away and say that ‘Yes, I am willing to pay this money for a facility’, that the chances are less likely of a move to Seattle. Although, there are people here who are very hopeful.”
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof