PHOENIX — Pennsylvania’s Punxsutawney Phil makes his call on how much more winter we’ll have on Saturday, but while he’s been fairly accurate on a national stage, he’s been pretty poor in predicting Arizona’s weather.
In the past 40 years, the groundhog has been right nationally about 60 percent of the time; not so much in Arizona.
“Last winter in Phoenix in February and March we were above average on temperatures, so his forecast was more or less wrong for our area,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service.
Dewey said she’ll cut Phil some slack as Arizona winters are not like the rest of the country.
“We can have 90 degrees in March. We’re a special case.”
And taking the furball forecaster Phil out of the equation, here’s how Dewey sees our remaining winter.
“It’s going to be dry,” she said. “Near average temperatures. That pattern looks to continue through the rest of the winter.
Of course Arizona has Agua Fria Freddy, a rattlesnake that is our version of that other critter that forecasts the rest of the winter.
He is reportedly right more than 95 percent of the time.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees