PHOENIX — Pennsylvania’s Punxsutawney Phil makes his call on how much more winter we’ll have on Saturday, but while he’s been fairly accurate on a national stage, he’s been pretty poor in predicting Arizona’s weather.
In the past 40 years, the groundhog has been right nationally about 60 percent of the time; not so much in Arizona.
“Last winter in Phoenix in February and March we were above average on temperatures, so his forecast was more or less wrong for our area,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service.
Dewey said she’ll cut Phil some slack as Arizona winters are not like the rest of the country.
“We can have 90 degrees in March. We’re a special case.”
And taking the furball forecaster Phil out of the equation, here’s how Dewey sees our remaining winter.
“It’s going to be dry,” she said. “Near average temperatures. That pattern looks to continue through the rest of the winter.
Of course Arizona has Agua Fria Freddy, a rattlesnake that is our version of that other critter that forecasts the rest of the winter.
He is reportedly right more than 95 percent of the time.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas