PHOENIX — Pennsylvania’s Punxsutawney Phil makes his call on how much more winter we’ll have on Saturday, but while he’s been fairly accurate on a national stage, he’s been pretty poor in predicting Arizona’s weather.
In the past 40 years, the groundhog has been right nationally about 60 percent of the time; not so much in Arizona.
“Last winter in Phoenix in February and March we were above average on temperatures, so his forecast was more or less wrong for our area,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service.
Dewey said she’ll cut Phil some slack as Arizona winters are not like the rest of the country.
“We can have 90 degrees in March. We’re a special case.”
And taking the furball forecaster Phil out of the equation, here’s how Dewey sees our remaining winter.
“It’s going to be dry,” she said. “Near average temperatures. That pattern looks to continue through the rest of the winter.
Of course Arizona has Agua Fria Freddy, a rattlesnake that is our version of that other critter that forecasts the rest of the winter.
He is reportedly right more than 95 percent of the time.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them