PHOENIX — Police have confirmed that a body found Thursday at the Mesa Riverview shopping center is that of suspected Phoenix shooter Arthur Douglas Harmon.
The body was found early Thursday morning, along with a rental car that the suspect had been driving. Phoenix Sgt. Steve Martos said a gunshot wound to the body appeared to be self-inflicted.
Mesa police spokesman Anthony Landato said a handgun was found at the scene.
Harmon, 70, is the chief suspect in a Wednesday shooting spree that left one man dead and five other people injured at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue.
A landscaper found the body in a parking lot at the center, near Loop 202 and Dobson Road.
Police conducted a search of Harmon’s north Phoenix home at 28th Street and Acoma Drive after the shooting and learned he had left in a rented white Kia Optima. The license plate of that car matched that of the car found at Riverview.
No other information was immediately available.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night