PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office will soon welcome the arrival of 400 semi-automatic assault rifles.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his department is purchasing the weapons to make ensure his deputies are not out-gunned.
“The profession is obviously becoming far more dangerous as more criminals seem to be only too willing to fire at officers and deputies,” he said in a release.
The guns will be purchased using the MCSO’s fund forfeited by drug dealers at an estimated cost of $500,000. The purchase will make MCSO home to the largest number of semi-automatic assault rifles in the nation.
“My goal is to keep the community and my deputies safe, so we look far and wide for the best people and best equipment,” Arpaio said.
The guns will be distributed to all deputies by the spring of 2013.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise