PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office will soon welcome the arrival of 400 semi-automatic assault rifles.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his department is purchasing the weapons to make ensure his deputies are not out-gunned.
“The profession is obviously becoming far more dangerous as more criminals seem to be only too willing to fire at officers and deputies,” he said in a release.
The guns will be purchased using the MCSO’s fund forfeited by drug dealers at an estimated cost of $500,000. The purchase will make MCSO home to the largest number of semi-automatic assault rifles in the nation.
“My goal is to keep the community and my deputies safe, so we look far and wide for the best people and best equipment,” Arpaio said.
The guns will be distributed to all deputies by the spring of 2013.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas