PHOENIX — Karen Greenhow heard two loud noises and dismissed them Wednesday. Until someone in the office building started shouting there had been a shooting.
“I thought maybe it was construction, something had fallen, I didn’t relate it to gunshots at the time,” said Greenhow.
Then she and several others blocked themselves inside a tech-equipment room in an office building at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue and waited.
“We didn’t know what to think, we didn’t know what to expect,” she said.
One person was killed and five more were injured. At least two of the shooting victims are in critical condition.
After the danger had passed, Greenhow calmly discussed the tragedy. “I’m shaking like a leaf underneath,” she said.
Greenhow got a glimpse of two victims on the ground. “It was an upsetting sight to see.”
She called her mother in Kingman to let her know she was all right.
“You see it on TV (but) you never think it’s going to happen to you.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona