PHOENIX — Karen Greenhow heard two loud noises and dismissed them Wednesday. Until someone in the office building started shouting there had been a shooting.
“I thought maybe it was construction, something had fallen, I didn’t relate it to gunshots at the time,” said Greenhow.
Then she and several others blocked themselves inside a tech-equipment room in an office building at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue and waited.
“We didn’t know what to think, we didn’t know what to expect,” she said.
One person was killed and five more were injured. At least two of the shooting victims are in critical condition.
After the danger had passed, Greenhow calmly discussed the tragedy. “I’m shaking like a leaf underneath,” she said.
Greenhow got a glimpse of two victims on the ground. “It was an upsetting sight to see.”
She called her mother in Kingman to let her know she was all right.
“You see it on TV (but) you never think it’s going to happen to you.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl