PHOENIX — Karen Greenhow heard two loud noises and dismissed them Wednesday. Until someone in the office building started shouting there had been a shooting.
“I thought maybe it was construction, something had fallen, I didn’t relate it to gunshots at the time,” said Greenhow.
Then she and several others blocked themselves inside a tech-equipment room in an office building at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue and waited.
“We didn’t know what to think, we didn’t know what to expect,” she said.
One person was killed and five more were injured. At least two of the shooting victims are in critical condition.
After the danger had passed, Greenhow calmly discussed the tragedy. “I’m shaking like a leaf underneath,” she said.
Greenhow got a glimpse of two victims on the ground. “It was an upsetting sight to see.”
She called her mother in Kingman to let her know she was all right.
“You see it on TV (but) you never think it’s going to happen to you.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes