PHOENIX — Karen Greenhow heard two loud noises and dismissed them Wednesday. Until someone in the office building started shouting there had been a shooting.
“I thought maybe it was construction, something had fallen, I didn’t relate it to gunshots at the time,” said Greenhow.
Then she and several others blocked themselves inside a tech-equipment room in an office building at 16th Street and Glendale Avenue and waited.
“We didn’t know what to think, we didn’t know what to expect,” she said.
One person was killed and five more were injured. At least two of the shooting victims are in critical condition.
After the danger had passed, Greenhow calmly discussed the tragedy. “I’m shaking like a leaf underneath,” she said.
Greenhow got a glimpse of two victims on the ground. “It was an upsetting sight to see.”
She called her mother in Kingman to let her know she was all right.
“You see it on TV (but) you never think it’s going to happen to you.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.