PHOENIX — Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman left office last year with a goal in mind — the 2014 governor’s race.
Hallman said he knew he was going to run for an office where he could make the most difference on two fronts statewide — the economy and education. He feels both are underperforming.
“Education is an area where we should put more effort and getting better results and it’s not always about money. On the economy, Arizona should be the nations top performing state,” he said.
Hallman, a Republican, served two terms directing Tempe City Hall. He said he felt he could only do so much to affect the East Valley city’s future.
“If I was going to seek the governor’s office, I didn’t think it proper to retain the office of mayor,” he said.
He’s also an attorney and economist and served as headmaster of Tempe Preparatory Academy.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development