PHOENIX — Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman left office last year with a goal in mind — the 2014 governor’s race.
Hallman said he knew he was going to run for an office where he could make the most difference on two fronts statewide — the economy and education. He feels both are underperforming.
“Education is an area where we should put more effort and getting better results and it’s not always about money. On the economy, Arizona should be the nations top performing state,” he said.
Hallman, a Republican, served two terms directing Tempe City Hall. He said he felt he could only do so much to affect the East Valley city’s future.
“If I was going to seek the governor’s office, I didn’t think it proper to retain the office of mayor,” he said.
He’s also an attorney and economist and served as headmaster of Tempe Preparatory Academy.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier