PHOENIX — Sen. John McCain said he is looking forward to working with President Barack Obama on a possible overhaul of American immigration laws.
“I appreciate that the president is committed to it and we look forward to working with him,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Tuesday.
Despite his optimism, McCain knows it will likely be an uphill battle, even with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who is a staunch advocate for securing the border.
“I’ve tried to do the best I can to ensure her that we will not trigger any further movement towards a legalization of people who are here illegally until we have a secure border.”
McCain, citing a new Israeli fence, said it is very possible for the United States to fully secure the border and to crack down on illegal immigrants should a reform pass.
McCain said that several members of both the House and Senate are against any kind of change to immigration policy.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident