PHOENIX — They may never be used, but one Arizona school district is installing panic alarms in the case of an emergency, such as a mass shooting.
“We take the safety of each child very, very seriously,” said Roger Jacks, superintendent of the Kingman Unified School District.
Jacks met with the local sheriff’s office and police department to discuss the immediate installation of two such alarms per school. If there is ever a threat or other emergency, there will be “a very immediate response to that school,” said Jacks.
The alarms will cost each school $50.
In addition to the alarms, the district has provided law enforcement officials with private parking spaces.
“They’re encouraged to come in, take a break, get a cup of coffee and just be in and around our schools more,” said Jacks.
A teacher within the district has proposed keeping classroom doors locked, however, a survey by the district suggested most teachers would consider the move too disruptive. It’s unlikely the school board would approve the idea.
John Huppenthal, state superintendent of public instruction, said the district’s plan is a good idea.
“Especially if the installation of ‘panic buttons’ for the notification of law enforcement can be used to complement a school’s comprehensive emergency preparedness plan, if determined so by the school safety team and its first responder partners.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl