A lot of people will be walking Valley streets on Wednesday, taking a different kind of census.
“For the first time in a couple of years, the entire region will be engaging in a count of our homeless population,” said Jody Liggett, the Homeless Policy Advisor for Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton. “We have teams headed up by the Maricopa Association of Governments, along with city personnel, non-profit associations and hundreds of volunteers. They will fan out over an assigned territory looking for individuals who are out on the street.”
Stanton will be on one of the teams walking the city. Starting at 8 a.m., he will be working in the area north of Van Buren Street between Central Ave. and Seventh Ave. The teams will not only count the homeless, but will talk with them about their problems.
Liggett said that the homeless come from all walks of life.
“We’ve got homeless people who are veterans,” she said. “We’ve got single mothers with children who have fallen through the cracks. There are people who are former professionals that have had a disabling health condition that just wiped them out financially, and they find themselves out on the streets.”
The census is called the MAG Point In Time Street Count and Survey of homeless families and individuals. Liggett said the census could help Maricopa County and cities to get federal funding to provide services for the Valley’s homeless population.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon