The Phoenix Coyotes currently sit last in National Hockey League attendance for the second straight year.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, the Coyotes have averaged slightly over 12,250 fans through their first four home games following the end of the NHL lockout. The Coyotes hosted 8,500 fans at Monday night’s win vs. the Nashville Predators.
Despite the team’s postseason appearances in the past three seasons, the Coyotes ranked last in NHL attendance after averaging 12,420 fans the previous season and second-to-last the season before that with 12,200 fans per game.
The Coyotes first two home games attracted larger crowds with approximately 14,800 fans against the Los Angeles Kings and 17,400 fans vs. the Chicago Blackhawks.
This will be an unavoidable factor if Greg Jamison and his investment group surpass the Jan. 31 deadline to purchase the team from the NHL and retain it in the Phoenix area. Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said no postponement will be granted for the proposed 20-year deal to pay Jamison to manage the locally-owned Jobing.com Arena.
“We are not there yet,” he said. “If he doesn’t put the deal together, we won’t go down that road again with him. Obviously, if we can keep the Coyotes here under different circumstances and without that same deal it is certainly something I would like to push forward with.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes