PHOENIX — Three months after Superstorm Sandy hit the Northeast, some Valley students are turning to music to generate money and deliver joy.
Band members at Mountain Pointe High School in Ahwatukee are trying to raise $5,000 so Bay Head School in New Jersey can replace musical instruments destroyed by floodwaters.
“They’re not even having music classes right now,” said Susan Conely, who is helping organize the Keep the Beat Going fundraisers. “I think they’re excited to know that someone’s working on getting supplies for them.”
Conely said a community member has donated a concert tuba and Mountain Pointe’s Language Arts Honor Society has donated $1,000. Band members have sold donuts and a car wash is planned for February, while the big fundraiser will take place April 11, when a silent auction will be held in conjunction with a combined concert presented by Mountain Pointe High School and the Ahwatukee Foothills Concert Band.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon