Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer released the following statement after bipartisan group of senators came up with a framework for immigration reform on Monday.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
“I have been in contact with Senator McCain regarding the now released immigration reform ideas presented by his working group of Senators. I am pleased that there is expressed recognition of what we have been saying in Arizona: immigration reform will not succeed unless and until we have achieved effective border security. If this occurs, it would be a triumph for the rule of law and a testament to the united voices of Americans from across our country who have been clear in their call for the federal government to uphold its duty to secure the border.
“Our nation cannot afford to repeat the mistakes of the past by pursuing immigration reform before tangible and effective border security, particularly in the Tucson Sector, is completed. That is the lesson of the last major immigration reform effort in 1986. The promise of border security was broken, and Americans – especially in border states like mine – have been paying the price ever since. We must not – and will not – let that happen again.
“In the weeks ahead, I will review the specific details of this immigration plan when proposed in actual legislation. I am hopeful that the immigration system is reformed in a manner that combines the rule of law and human compassion, while strengthening the United States’ competitive position in the world.
“In the meantime, I’ll be speaking with Arizona ranchers, business leaders and other residents of the border region, as well as law enforcement. I will continue to talk with those on the front lines and I will make sure their voices are heard. I am committed to do everything within my power to make certain our federal government finally upholds its obligation to secure America’s borders.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl