Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne wants the Arizona Legislature to pass a law that makes the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office the only law enforcement in Colorado City.
But how would such a law be received in the polygamist town? Would the Marshal’s Office that polices the town go along with the order, or would there be a confrontation between two armed law enforcement agencies?
Horne said he is conducting a criminal probe of the office. He claims marshals are holding “women who want to escape from the community” against their will.
Blake Hamilton is the attorney for the Hilldale, Utah, marshal’s office, which is a joint operation with Colorado City. He denied the charges, and is challenging Horne to show any evidence that backed up the claims.
The community along the Arizona-Utah border is heavily influenced by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That church is ruled by Warren Jeffs, who is in a Texas prison after being convicted on child sex and bigamy charges.
Hamilton admitted if the Legislature rules in Horne’s favor, it would not go over well in Colorado City. He said the marshals obviously doesn’t want to be decertified and disbanded.
“It’s these gentlemen’s job to uphold the law and protect people there,” said Hamilton. “They have done that, and they have been carrying out their duties.”
Not so, said Mohave County Sheriff Tom Sheehan.
“They know what’s going in that community,” said Sheehan. “They know how (the polygamists) ship women from town to town and from state to state. They do nothing to stop it.”
Sheehan cited one incident when his deputies tried to take a man into custody, and the marshals stood in their way. When sheriff’s deputies arrived to pick the man up, marshals said he wasn’t there.
“This individual that we were looking for works at the city complex,” said Sheehan. “His car was there. He’s also a volunteer fireman. They can play dumb all they want to. We know. We’ve been playing their games for years, and those games are about to end when the legislature takes action.”
Hamilton denied there have been any confrontations between his clients and the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office.
“It’s really reckless behavior by Tom Sheehan to say the things that he has said, without providing any evidence of those conflicts that he calls,” Hamilton said.
Hamilton said if the legislature rules in Horne’s favor, he’ll advise his clients to abide by that ruling, and he thinks the marshals will cooperate.
But he calls the people who live in Colorado City “close knit,” and he’s not sure how they’ll react.
Sheehan said he’s not worried about a possible siege, but said if something does happen, his deputies will be ready.
“You have to be ready for anything,” said Sheehan. “We’ve had false rumors of mass suicide, and Warren Jeffs saying that they’re going to be lifted up to heaven.”
“We’re used to a lot of various issues that come out of that community, that’s for sure.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy