PHOENIX — The Centers for Disease Control said a new strain of the norovirus is spreading across the country.
The new strain, originating from Australia, is called GII.4 Sydney. There have been 140 confirmed cases in the United States, but the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the strain is the leading cause of norovirus outbreaks in the U.S.
The norovirus has flulike symptoms.
“Vomiting, diarrhea, general stomach upset,” said Shoana Anderson, chief of the Arizona Office of Infectious Disease Services.
Anderson said no cases have shown up in the state yet.
“We do look for norovirus, and we test for it at the state lab, but in order to figure the exact type, it has to go to a special testing facility in California,” Anderson said.
It takes a couple of months to get the test results.
This strain of the virus is highly contagious, and a flu shot is no protection. The normal methods of keeping a home clean to stop it from spreading may also be ineffective.
“Usually, people are going to want to do a really good job of cleaning with a 1 to 10 bleach solution,” said Anderson. “That’s one of the best ways to really kill it. Your ordinary Lysol and things like that are not going to work as well.”
Hand sanitizer may not work either.
“Norovirus is actually one of those things where the hand sanitizers are not necessarily as effective as hand washings,” Anderson said.
Like the flu, Anderson said that frequent washing of hands for about 20 seconds at a time can can help stave off illness.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy