PHOENIX — The Centers for Disease Control said a new strain of the norovirus is spreading across the country.
The new strain, originating from Australia, is called GII.4 Sydney. There have been 140 confirmed cases in the United States, but the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the strain is the leading cause of norovirus outbreaks in the U.S.
The norovirus has flulike symptoms.
“Vomiting, diarrhea, general stomach upset,” said Shoana Anderson, chief of the Arizona Office of Infectious Disease Services.
Anderson said no cases have shown up in the state yet.
“We do look for norovirus, and we test for it at the state lab, but in order to figure the exact type, it has to go to a special testing facility in California,” Anderson said.
It takes a couple of months to get the test results.
This strain of the virus is highly contagious, and a flu shot is no protection. The normal methods of keeping a home clean to stop it from spreading may also be ineffective.
“Usually, people are going to want to do a really good job of cleaning with a 1 to 10 bleach solution,” said Anderson. “That’s one of the best ways to really kill it. Your ordinary Lysol and things like that are not going to work as well.”
Hand sanitizer may not work either.
“Norovirus is actually one of those things where the hand sanitizers are not necessarily as effective as hand washings,” Anderson said.
Like the flu, Anderson said that frequent washing of hands for about 20 seconds at a time can can help stave off illness.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.