PHOENIX — The Centers for Disease Control said a new strain of the norovirus is spreading across the country.
The new strain, originating from Australia, is called GII.4 Sydney. There have been 140 confirmed cases in the United States, but the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the strain is the leading cause of norovirus outbreaks in the U.S.
The norovirus has flulike symptoms.
“Vomiting, diarrhea, general stomach upset,” said Shoana Anderson, chief of the Arizona Office of Infectious Disease Services.
Anderson said no cases have shown up in the state yet.
“We do look for norovirus, and we test for it at the state lab, but in order to figure the exact type, it has to go to a special testing facility in California,” Anderson said.
It takes a couple of months to get the test results.
This strain of the virus is highly contagious, and a flu shot is no protection. The normal methods of keeping a home clean to stop it from spreading may also be ineffective.
“Usually, people are going to want to do a really good job of cleaning with a 1 to 10 bleach solution,” said Anderson. “That’s one of the best ways to really kill it. Your ordinary Lysol and things like that are not going to work as well.”
Hand sanitizer may not work either.
“Norovirus is actually one of those things where the hand sanitizers are not necessarily as effective as hand washings,” Anderson said.
Like the flu, Anderson said that frequent washing of hands for about 20 seconds at a time can can help stave off illness.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl