18-year-old Brandon Wechsler is the team manager for the Pinnacle boys basketball team.
Throughout the Pioneers’ 2012-13 season, Wechsler has been by the players’ side during practices, games and video sessions.
But the senior isn’t like most team managers across the country. Wechsler is currently battling Duchenne muscular dystrophy, which inflicts 1 out of every 3,600 boys in the United States.
So while Wechsler provides head coach Charles Wilde and Co. a helping hand with his managerial responsibilities, it’s his mere presence and infectious smile that provides the players with a great form of daily inspiration.
To honor Wechsler’s remarkable contributions to the program, Pinnacle allowed their senior manager a chance to get in the game during Friday night’s contest against Sandra Day O’Connor High School.
“It’s going to show that kids in wheelchairs can do anything else like other kids can do,” Wechsler said before the game. “It’s going to show people what courage is and what it means to be part of a team.”
Wechsler was named a starter and played the first five seconds of the contest, giving him just enough time to set a key pick for teammate Drew Bender.
While his playing time was limited, the entire gym erupted when he reached the floor. In addition, the student section paid tribute to Wechsler by painting his number 42 on their faces.
“It was awesome, best moment of my life,” said Wechsler. “It was magic.”
Wechsler’s father Len was also in the stands and held back tears as he watched his son fulfill a lifelong dream.
“It was absolutely amazing, magical” said Len Wechsler. “I love this kid.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick