PHOENIX — Roof rats are beginning to scurry around looking for excess citrus and homeowners need to be proactive if they don’t want the rats moving in, a city official said.
“Roof rats are a big problem everywhere when nobody does anything about them,” said Barry Pacely, Founder/Director of the Arcadia Citrus Program.
If they get inside your house, the problem could be more like a nightmare.
“We’ve gotten call from ladies that first thing in the morning they’d found a roof rat doing laps in their commode,” said Pacely.
Pacely said there are a few things homeowners can do to keep the rats out of homes, including sealing the house, putting out traps and, since these are communal creatures, to work with neighbors to keep them at bay. Additionally, Pacely encouraged homeowners to manicure their property; thin everything out and clear out the citrus.
The Arcadia Citrus Program will be hosting collection events every Saturday until March 23. For more information, call (602) 273-0435 or visit roofrat.net.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development