PHOENIX — Roof rats are beginning to scurry around looking for excess citrus and homeowners need to be proactive if they don’t want the rats moving in, a city official said.
“Roof rats are a big problem everywhere when nobody does anything about them,” said Barry Pacely, Founder/Director of the Arcadia Citrus Program.
If they get inside your house, the problem could be more like a nightmare.
“We’ve gotten call from ladies that first thing in the morning they’d found a roof rat doing laps in their commode,” said Pacely.
Pacely said there are a few things homeowners can do to keep the rats out of homes, including sealing the house, putting out traps and, since these are communal creatures, to work with neighbors to keep them at bay. Additionally, Pacely encouraged homeowners to manicure their property; thin everything out and clear out the citrus.
The Arcadia Citrus Program will be hosting collection events every Saturday until March 23. For more information, call (602) 273-0435 or visit roofrat.net.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food