PHOENIX — Roof rats are beginning to scurry around looking for excess citrus and homeowners need to be proactive if they don’t want the rats moving in, a city official said.
“Roof rats are a big problem everywhere when nobody does anything about them,” said Barry Pacely, Founder/Director of the Arcadia Citrus Program.
If they get inside your house, the problem could be more like a nightmare.
“We’ve gotten call from ladies that first thing in the morning they’d found a roof rat doing laps in their commode,” said Pacely.
Pacely said there are a few things homeowners can do to keep the rats out of homes, including sealing the house, putting out traps and, since these are communal creatures, to work with neighbors to keep them at bay. Additionally, Pacely encouraged homeowners to manicure their property; thin everything out and clear out the citrus.
The Arcadia Citrus Program will be hosting collection events every Saturday until March 23. For more information, call (602) 273-0435 or visit roofrat.net.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise