PHOENIX — One of the Valley’s hiking hotspots will close at 5 a.m. Monday and it’s not going to reopen for at least six months because of a major makeover project.
The project includes new bathrooms being built at Echo Canyon on Camelback Mountain, but the signature improvements are trail renovation and extending the Echo Canyon route by a third of a mile from 1.2 miles to 1.5 miles and parking will be doubled to more than 130 spaces.
Phoenix Park Ranger Cody Huggins said this project is long overdue.
“These last few years have been brutal,” he said. “If you’re in town this is the place to be. It’s in the heart of the city and it’s beautiful.”
Parking has been a major challenge not only for visitors, but residents in the area as well who’ve dealt with the crowded area.
The shutdown comes at the height of the hiking season with cooler temperatures in the Valley. Huggins said the cooler temperatures are exactly why the shutdown comes now: To protect workers from the brutal heat of the summer.
“These workers will be out on the trail and this is just best time to do it.”
People who are caught in Echo Canyon could be arrested for trespassing. The summit of Camelback can still be reached via the Cholla Trail on the southeastern side of the mountain.
Frequent hikers, like Colleen Alanthwaite, said they will miss Echo Canyon, but look forward to the improvements. She will be hiking Piestewa Peak until the makeover is complete.
“It’s nice, it’s just not the same feeling of achievement that comes from hiking Echo Canyon. No matter how many times we do it, it’s still tough.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl