PHOENIX — One of the Valley’s hiking hotspots will close at 5 a.m. Monday and it’s not going to reopen for at least six months because of a major makeover project.
The project includes new bathrooms being built at Echo Canyon on Camelback Mountain, but the signature improvements are trail renovation and extending the Echo Canyon route by a third of a mile from 1.2 miles to 1.5 miles and parking will be doubled to more than 130 spaces.
Phoenix Park Ranger Cody Huggins said this project is long overdue.
“These last few years have been brutal,” he said. “If you’re in town this is the place to be. It’s in the heart of the city and it’s beautiful.”
Parking has been a major challenge not only for visitors, but residents in the area as well who’ve dealt with the crowded area.
The shutdown comes at the height of the hiking season with cooler temperatures in the Valley. Huggins said the cooler temperatures are exactly why the shutdown comes now: To protect workers from the brutal heat of the summer.
“These workers will be out on the trail and this is just best time to do it.”
People who are caught in Echo Canyon could be arrested for trespassing. The summit of Camelback can still be reached via the Cholla Trail on the southeastern side of the mountain.
Frequent hikers, like Colleen Alanthwaite, said they will miss Echo Canyon, but look forward to the improvements. She will be hiking Piestewa Peak until the makeover is complete.
“It’s nice, it’s just not the same feeling of achievement that comes from hiking Echo Canyon. No matter how many times we do it, it’s still tough.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon