Things are looking up financially for the City of Surprise.
In March of 2012, an audit revealed the city had misplaced $73 million over a period of 10 years, causing the city to dip into their savings.
“Almost a year ago, the city’s auditors and accountants detected ‘missteps’ in the budget from the past decade. They were forced to dip into their rainy fund that was ‘knocked nearly to zero,'” said Surprise City Manager Chris Hillman.
But now the city’s money problems are improving. Hillman explained the city’s efforts to reduce the debt.
“The city council made an immediate policy direction that they wanted a fully [re]funded reserve, which is, by policy, $13 million…They wanted that filled and completed within 24 months, so the city has set out on a course this past year to accomplish that.”
Hillman said the Surprise City Council has made conscious efforts in replacing these funds by reducing expenses. They have cut 34 employee positions and placed some capital projects on hold. However, the city was able to do this without impacting services to residents or raising taxes and fees.
This week, the revenue the city anticipated for this fiscal year is above what was expected: from $500,000 to $1.7 million. They are hopeful for a budget surplus, which will help replace more of the money to be put in the reserve.
“We’re cautiously optimistic that things are progressing well, and even a little ahead of schedule at this point,” said Hillman.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food