PHOENIX — He’s been one of the state’s most outspoken critics of President Obama on illegal immigration and the botched gunwalking operation known as ‘Fast and Furious.’ Now Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said he will not enforce any gun laws the president creates by executive order.
Babeu shipped off a strongly worded letter to President Obama that accuses him of using tragedies such as the Connecticut school shootings as a way to push a gun control agenda.
“Why isn’t the focus on the mentally ill? Providing more resources to identify who these people are to get them help but to restrict them from owning or possessing firearms.”
Babeu told KTAR he finds it ironic that an administration that put 2,000 weapons into the hands of Mexican drug cartels with the Fast and Furious would try to take away Second Amendment rights.
“I am very alarmed, as all Americans and patriots should be at the growing power and strength of the federal government and very concerned that the president, who is a constitutional lawyer, believes that he can even do this,” he said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development