QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. — Students at an elementary school in the Queen Creek are honoring the victims of the Connecticut school shootings.
At Cortina Elementary School, Jamie Hunt’s fourth-grade class spent the majority of the past week making a quilt for the school district in Newtown, Conn.
“It has 26 stars on the front, and a patch in the middle that says ’26 stars will be shining brighter over Connecticut,’ ” Hunt said. “On the back, it has a nice label of where it came from, and an additional star because we have 27 students in our classroom.”
The quilt is the size of a twin bed. It was knitted by Hunt’s mother, and includes the names of every shooting victim.
Each student created a star with stencils and paint and markers, Hunt said and added pictures.
“I put a bird, and a cloud, with the moon and a teddy bear,” said one student, Bella.
“I put a birdhouse and two birds flying up to it,” said Devin. “It’s like people flying up to heaven.”
Hunt hopes the quilt will be displayed in Connecticut and bring comfort to the people of Newtown.
“We wanted to offer something that would be something that they could hold dear to their hearts,” said Hunt. “We don’t really want anything in return, we just wanted to do something good. We wanted to turn something that is bad into something good.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America