QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. — Students at an elementary school in the Queen Creek are honoring the victims of the Connecticut school shootings.
At Cortina Elementary School, Jamie Hunt’s fourth-grade class spent the majority of the past week making a quilt for the school district in Newtown, Conn.
“It has 26 stars on the front, and a patch in the middle that says ’26 stars will be shining brighter over Connecticut,’ ” Hunt said. “On the back, it has a nice label of where it came from, and an additional star because we have 27 students in our classroom.”
The quilt is the size of a twin bed. It was knitted by Hunt’s mother, and includes the names of every shooting victim.
Each student created a star with stencils and paint and markers, Hunt said and added pictures.
“I put a bird, and a cloud, with the moon and a teddy bear,” said one student, Bella.
“I put a birdhouse and two birds flying up to it,” said Devin. “It’s like people flying up to heaven.”
Hunt hopes the quilt will be displayed in Connecticut and bring comfort to the people of Newtown.
“We wanted to offer something that would be something that they could hold dear to their hearts,” said Hunt. “We don’t really want anything in return, we just wanted to do something good. We wanted to turn something that is bad into something good.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon