QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. — Students at an elementary school in the Queen Creek are honoring the victims of the Connecticut school shootings.
At Cortina Elementary School, Jamie Hunt’s fourth-grade class spent the majority of the past week making a quilt for the school district in Newtown, Conn.
“It has 26 stars on the front, and a patch in the middle that says ’26 stars will be shining brighter over Connecticut,’ ” Hunt said. “On the back, it has a nice label of where it came from, and an additional star because we have 27 students in our classroom.”
The quilt is the size of a twin bed. It was knitted by Hunt’s mother, and includes the names of every shooting victim.
Each student created a star with stencils and paint and markers, Hunt said and added pictures.
“I put a bird, and a cloud, with the moon and a teddy bear,” said one student, Bella.
“I put a birdhouse and two birds flying up to it,” said Devin. “It’s like people flying up to heaven.”
Hunt hopes the quilt will be displayed in Connecticut and bring comfort to the people of Newtown.
“We wanted to offer something that would be something that they could hold dear to their hearts,” said Hunt. “We don’t really want anything in return, we just wanted to do something good. We wanted to turn something that is bad into something good.”
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise