QUEEN CREEK, Ariz. — Students at an elementary school in the Queen Creek are honoring the victims of the Connecticut school shootings.
At Cortina Elementary School, Jamie Hunt’s fourth-grade class spent the majority of the past week making a quilt for the school district in Newtown, Conn.
“It has 26 stars on the front, and a patch in the middle that says ’26 stars will be shining brighter over Connecticut,’ ” Hunt said. “On the back, it has a nice label of where it came from, and an additional star because we have 27 students in our classroom.”
The quilt is the size of a twin bed. It was knitted by Hunt’s mother, and includes the names of every shooting victim.
Each student created a star with stencils and paint and markers, Hunt said and added pictures.
“I put a bird, and a cloud, with the moon and a teddy bear,” said one student, Bella.
“I put a birdhouse and two birds flying up to it,” said Devin. “It’s like people flying up to heaven.”
Hunt hopes the quilt will be displayed in Connecticut and bring comfort to the people of Newtown.
“We wanted to offer something that would be something that they could hold dear to their hearts,” said Hunt. “We don’t really want anything in return, we just wanted to do something good. We wanted to turn something that is bad into something good.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain