Just days ago, pro golfer Phil Mickelson teed up some controversy by blasting California’s high tax rate, only to apologize to those who are unemployed and struggling to make ends meet if he offended them.
Barry Broome with the Greater Phoenix Economic Council said Mickelson is far from being alone in his frustration over California voters passing a $6 billion tax increase that mainly takes aim at higher income earners.
“You’re talking about a 13 percent tax on $1 million. You make $130,000 a year just by moving to Arizona,” said Broome.
Last year, Broome offered free airfare and hotel rooms to the top 100 CEOs in California to visit the Valley to look into relocating. He has had 14 bites from companies who will move here or elsewhere, but they will not stay in California.
“High powered guys, they’re leaving,” he said.
Broome said California hasn’t seen anything yet. The real exodus should begin in 2015 when the market recovers, it’s easier to sell homes and there’s more cash to move businesses.
In 2011, 49,000 Californians moved to Arizona. Broome expects that number to double in 2015 to 2016 and he’d like to see Mickelson as one of them.
“You’re a Sun Devil, come home,” he said.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof