Just days ago, pro golfer Phil Mickelson teed up some controversy by blasting California’s high tax rate, only to apologize to those who are unemployed and struggling to make ends meet if he offended them.
Barry Broome with the Greater Phoenix Economic Council said Mickelson is far from being alone in his frustration over California voters passing a $6 billion tax increase that mainly takes aim at higher income earners.
“You’re talking about a 13 percent tax on $1 million. You make $130,000 a year just by moving to Arizona,” said Broome.
Last year, Broome offered free airfare and hotel rooms to the top 100 CEOs in California to visit the Valley to look into relocating. He has had 14 bites from companies who will move here or elsewhere, but they will not stay in California.
“High powered guys, they’re leaving,” he said.
Broome said California hasn’t seen anything yet. The real exodus should begin in 2015 when the market recovers, it’s easier to sell homes and there’s more cash to move businesses.
In 2011, 49,000 Californians moved to Arizona. Broome expects that number to double in 2015 to 2016 and he’d like to see Mickelson as one of them.
“You’re a Sun Devil, come home,” he said.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again