PHOENIX — Super Bowl parties may see a different menu this year: chicken wing prices have hit a record high.
Wing prices are up 14 percent from last year to a record $2.11 per pound, not because of a shortage, but because demand is high.
Some are concerned that the high wing prices could hurt restaurants in the short term and A.J. Sulka with Majerle’s in downtown Phoenix said they’re definitely feeling the pinch.
“They’re getting more expensive, we’ve definitely felt that but you can’t budget on that you have to keep the price fair. If we have to spend more through our vendor to get wings, that’s just part of doing business.”
It doesn’t seem that long ago that wings were just an appetizer and now they’re a staple of menus.
“It’s amazing,” said Sulka. “I talk to people from Buffalo, where the chicken wing is from, and we get a kick out of how it was before wings were such a big part of normal everyday menus.”
The National Chicken Council says Americans will eat almost 1.25 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain