PHOENIX — Super Bowl parties may see a different menu this year: chicken wing prices have hit a record high.
Wing prices are up 14 percent from last year to a record $2.11 per pound, not because of a shortage, but because demand is high.
Some are concerned that the high wing prices could hurt restaurants in the short term and A.J. Sulka with Majerle’s in downtown Phoenix said they’re definitely feeling the pinch.
“They’re getting more expensive, we’ve definitely felt that but you can’t budget on that you have to keep the price fair. If we have to spend more through our vendor to get wings, that’s just part of doing business.”
It doesn’t seem that long ago that wings were just an appetizer and now they’re a staple of menus.
“It’s amazing,” said Sulka. “I talk to people from Buffalo, where the chicken wing is from, and we get a kick out of how it was before wings were such a big part of normal everyday menus.”
The National Chicken Council says Americans will eat almost 1.25 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy