PHOENIX — Super Bowl parties may see a different menu this year: chicken wing prices have hit a record high.
Wing prices are up 14 percent from last year to a record $2.11 per pound, not because of a shortage, but because demand is high.
Some are concerned that the high wing prices could hurt restaurants in the short term and A.J. Sulka with Majerle’s in downtown Phoenix said they’re definitely feeling the pinch.
“They’re getting more expensive, we’ve definitely felt that but you can’t budget on that you have to keep the price fair. If we have to spend more through our vendor to get wings, that’s just part of doing business.”
It doesn’t seem that long ago that wings were just an appetizer and now they’re a staple of menus.
“It’s amazing,” said Sulka. “I talk to people from Buffalo, where the chicken wing is from, and we get a kick out of how it was before wings were such a big part of normal everyday menus.”
The National Chicken Council says Americans will eat almost 1.25 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas