A relatively new program in Mesa is drawing a lot of attention from fire departments in other states.
In August 2012, Mesa Fire and Medical Department and Mountain Vista Medical Center united for the benefit of residents.
The “unique public/private partnership” placed a nurse practitioner in a mobile treatment unit with a firefighter or paramedic.
“It fills a gap,” Mesa Fire Captain Forrest Smith said. “Not to replace doctors or hospitals but really just to fill that void where the patient doesn’t necessarily need the emergency room or urgent care, but might need a little assistance.”
According to Smith, having the new unit has prevented unnecessary transports of non-emergency patients to the hospital. That, in turn, has alleviated some of the congestion in local ERs.
The two-person team responds to lower-level 911 medical calls such as congestion and back pain. This frees up four firefighters, who man the big fire trucks for more serious emergencies, including strokes, heart attacks and fires.
Nurse practitioner Tom Morris said he’s used to an emergency-room type setting, but the change is welcome.
“I love it,” Morris said. “I get to see patients at their homes and on the street. Plus I get to work with firefighters.”
Anaheim, Calif. and Midland, Texas, have demonstrated a desire in modeling a similar program.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona