A relatively new program in Mesa is drawing a lot of attention from fire departments in other states.
In August 2012, Mesa Fire and Medical Department and Mountain Vista Medical Center united for the benefit of residents.
The “unique public/private partnership” placed a nurse practitioner in a mobile treatment unit with a firefighter or paramedic.
“It fills a gap,” Mesa Fire Captain Forrest Smith said. “Not to replace doctors or hospitals but really just to fill that void where the patient doesn’t necessarily need the emergency room or urgent care, but might need a little assistance.”
According to Smith, having the new unit has prevented unnecessary transports of non-emergency patients to the hospital. That, in turn, has alleviated some of the congestion in local ERs.
The two-person team responds to lower-level 911 medical calls such as congestion and back pain. This frees up four firefighters, who man the big fire trucks for more serious emergencies, including strokes, heart attacks and fires.
Nurse practitioner Tom Morris said he’s used to an emergency-room type setting, but the change is welcome.
“I love it,” Morris said. “I get to see patients at their homes and on the street. Plus I get to work with firefighters.”
Anaheim, Calif. and Midland, Texas, have demonstrated a desire in modeling a similar program.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food