PHOENIX — A Tucson council member said he is ready for a fight when it comes to gun laws in his city.
Arizona law prevents cities from passing tougher gun laws than the state has on the books, but Tucson Councilman Steve Kozachik wants universal background checks on all gun sales on city-owned property.
Kozachik said he’s not trying to sidestep Arizona law, but if the state wants a fight, he’s ready.
“[The state] would lose in the courtroom and in the court of public opinion,” he said.
Kozachik believes he has the council votes needed to pass the tougher gun laws on Feb. 5. The Tucson measure would require universal background checks on gun shows at the Tucson Convention Center.
Kozachik said he expects the opposition to come not only from the state, but gun rights advocates as well. He faced stiff opposition during a gun buyback that offered $50 gift cards in exchange for guns.
“Gun rights advocates on the periphery of my buyback and, in my opinion, the periphery of a rational conversation, were holding their own cash for guns flea market. They were trying to intercept people heading to my buyback event. To me, if you can stand 50 feet away from a couple of dozen cops and offer somebody cash for a gun without knowing anything about their background, that screams for a fix in the loophole.”
To those groups, Kozachik said if they’re ready to be so brazen, he’s willing to play the game with them.
“If you’re going to do that on city property, we’re going to require background checks and I’m not going to wait for the state or the federal government to approve it. It’s a public safety issue.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl