PHOENIX — A Tucson council member said he is ready for a fight when it comes to gun laws in his city.
Arizona law prevents cities from passing tougher gun laws than the state has on the books, but Tucson Councilman Steve Kozachik wants universal background checks on all gun sales on city-owned property.
Kozachik said he’s not trying to sidestep Arizona law, but if the state wants a fight, he’s ready.
“[The state] would lose in the courtroom and in the court of public opinion,” he said.
Kozachik believes he has the council votes needed to pass the tougher gun laws on Feb. 5. The Tucson measure would require universal background checks on gun shows at the Tucson Convention Center.
Kozachik said he expects the opposition to come not only from the state, but gun rights advocates as well. He faced stiff opposition during a gun buyback that offered $50 gift cards in exchange for guns.
“Gun rights advocates on the periphery of my buyback and, in my opinion, the periphery of a rational conversation, were holding their own cash for guns flea market. They were trying to intercept people heading to my buyback event. To me, if you can stand 50 feet away from a couple of dozen cops and offer somebody cash for a gun without knowing anything about their background, that screams for a fix in the loophole.”
To those groups, Kozachik said if they’re ready to be so brazen, he’s willing to play the game with them.
“If you’re going to do that on city property, we’re going to require background checks and I’m not going to wait for the state or the federal government to approve it. It’s a public safety issue.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development